Monday, June 2, 2008

Shameless Self-Promotion #1

I didn't really wait for too many positive responses to my last entry before deciding to make some of my non-blog writing available, but that's okay because this is, after all, my blog. I am in control.

I decided to start with my most recent work, three personal essays composed for my creative nonfiction writing class. Great class, by the way. I learned a lot and think my writing improved. My essays should be somewhat similar to the style I use with this blog; they are, of course, much more refined and well-developed. I am quite pleased with these essays, and I hope those of you who choose to read them will enjoy them as well.

I am trying out Google Docs for the first time. Hopefully this will work for everyone.

1. "On Beards" - this essay is obviously about beards. It's not much of a secret that I am a beard-lover and grow mine as often as possible. This essay explores specifically the stigma attached to beards not only at BYU, but in society as a whole.

2. "Packrats and Life Everlasting" - this essay explores my tendency to purchase books and movies, or at least attempts to understand that impulse. It's more interesting than my description makes it out to be.

3. "Reflections on Hate" - as the title states, this essay contains a few of my reflections on hate, what it is, why we feel it, etc. Of the three essays, this is probably my favorite, but I have yet to feel like it is complete. I plan on doing more revising and rewriting in the near future.

These three essays ought to provide enough reading material to tide people over for awhile. Those of you who do brave the murky depths of my writing, let me know what you think. I am always interested in knowing what people think of my work, and I am open and eager for constructive criticism or any suggestion as to how to improve my work.

You may begin reading.

1 comment:

  1. Well Johnny… I laughed and I cried. I never thought you could actually convince me that beardys truly are a minority group who face fierce discrimination in our society today! However, I think the argument for beards providing a warm nestling place for crumbs to be eaten at some future moment was a bit grotesque and over the top. But really, it was hilarious and I’m surprised I didn’t wake my sleeping roommate up with my bursts of laughter! I'll have to let you know if I approve of the other essays as well.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter