Wednesday, June 18, 2008

This little brain of mine...

This morning, sometime around 7:45 a.m., I found myself in the middle of a dream. In my dream, someone, I don't remember whom, said something about low blood sugar. As a diabetic, I'm well aware of the danger of low blood sugar, and I believe I made some comment along those lines in my dream. Well, soon after that I awoke, and found that I was actually experiencing low blood sugar at that time (which was surprising considering the slurpee I had last night). I got up and ingested some glucose and went back to sleep.

What I find interesting is that this is not the first time this has happened. In fact, this was the second dream this year in which low blood sugar has been brought to my attention only to wake up and find my own blood sugar levels low. How amazing is the brain? Stuff like this always leaves me blown away. The brain recognizes that my blood sugar is low and deals with it the only way it knows how: by making me aware of it in my dream and then waking me up. Instead of just waiting for me to wake up on my own and rectify the situation, the brain takes the initiative, and for that, I am grateful. I'm pretty glad my brain is looking out for me when I'm out for the count.

That's all.

1 comment:

  1. Wowzers! That really is amazing! I'm glad you have such an awesome brain so you don't go into a coma. That probably wouldn't be fun.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter