Sunday, June 15, 2008

It really is June, isn't it?

Yesterday was, for all intents and purposes, the first true day of summer. Never mind that it wasn't the 21st of June. The date doesn't matter. Our June weather had, until very recently, been quite abnormal. We had received a decent amount of rain, and the temperature had been quite cool - much cooler than years past. In fact, a couple of days this past week we had low temperatures similar to those experienced during the month of April. Weird stuff.

But yesterday was different. The sky was perfectly clear and pristine, and the sun brought warmth to Utah Valley. I haven't looked for the official number, but the temperature was somewhere in the high eighties, the hottest it's been this year. And with the warm weather came warm weather activities.

I first played in a pickup game of baseball with Alison and some of her high school friends at 9:00 a.m. We played until 11 a.m. Then at 12:30, I went to Seven Peaks to use my season pass for the first time. (IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: They are still selling student season passes for $40. If you are a student and a cool person, and if you're reading this then I assume you are cool, you should go buy a season pass). I, along with Alison, Elyse, and Trisha (go Chris, am I right?) spent a delightful afternoon frolicking in the wave pool (frolic was all you could really do with those weak waves), going down slides, relaxing in the Lazy River, and basking in the sun. It was a lot of fun, and we plan on using our passes many more times during the summer.

After that, I ate some lunch and tried to get some rest before our ward activity at 6. For the activity we were going to play slip'n'slide kickball at Kiwanis Park. It was also very fun. I have to publicly announce that I love kickball. Even in my energy depleted state, I was able to run around, kick the ball until my foot was bright red, and wreck mayhem on the other team.

Following the kickball, I sat in our hot tub for approximately 15 minutes before I was invited to the Malt Shoppe and then to go watch fireworks in Orem. A group of us Sparksians went and did both, and it was fun. The fireworks were pretty good for a Flag Day celebration. I'm assuming the 4th of July will bring grander exhibitions of explosions in the sky.

While driving to and from the fireworks display, we were all basically having a rave in Elyse's car. She had a specific rave mix on her iPod, and we were getting down with our bad selves. We reached Sparks then decided to throw a second Hobble Creek Canyon impromptu dance party. That meant, of course, that we needed slurpees, and the 7-11 in Springville facilitated that urge. We then went up the canyon and stopped at the same spot we did a few weeks earlier. Tunes were turned on, and our group of partiers (me, Elyse, Joel, Trisha, Kelli, and Beau) got the party started. It was fun and crazy, and some awesome pictures were taken. (I'll try and get my hands on those soon so I can up the best of them). We danced until we were all pretty much exhausted, drove back to Sparks, and then collapsed into the sweet oblivion of sleep.

Needless to say, it was a long, tiring, and extremely fun day. Summer, I'm glad you're finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter