Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Slow Week

It's been a slow week so far in the Blogosphere. Anyone reading this who also writes a blog should probably write something for my sake. Keep me entertained please!

I don't think this post is going to really contain anything exciting. Just a few tidbits of information.

1. I have a job interview later today (after I go to sleep and wake up). I hope it goes well because I need a job. I haven't really gotten terribly bored with all this free time, but my financial situation grows more precarious with each passing day.

2. Sometime this week I am going to buy a season pass to Seven Peaks. I remember how much I loved to go there as a child. Some of those slides were pretty formidable back in the day. Since it is only a few blocks from where I now live, I think that I could definitely get my money's worth out of a season pass. To make the offer even more attractive, they are offering a special deal to students who show them a student ID. For students, the season pass costs $40. I'm not sure how long they will be offering this deal, so I am going to have to act quickly.

I think other people should take advantage of this deal. Especially those who live so close to the park. We can have a lot of fun as a group.

3. I uploaded a new mix; it's actually a large mix with two parts. When I was listening to the Polyphonic Spree (hearken back to my "Prozac and Late Night Drives" post), I was reminded how awesome that band uses horns (you know, trumpets, trombones, french horns, tubas, etc.), and I decided then that I would make a mix of songs by contemporary bands with horns.

There really aren't enough horns in modern rock and roll. Horns figure prominently in genres like classical and jazz, but at my core I am a rock and/or roller. Sure, ska bands use horns frequently, but ska has never really been my thing. I definitely wasn't going to have my mix turn into a ska-fest --- though I have been known to skank at times. Disco and funk groups of the 70s also used a lot of horns, and I love them for that, but I was determined to keep things modern and make a good mix of songs with horns by contemporary artists that I listen to (i.e. mostly indie bands).

I think that I have come up with a good collection of songs. The only non-contemporary groups I included are The Beatles and The Beachboys. The Beatles are also the only group with two songs in the mix, and that is because you can't really deny The Beatles' greatness and right to tower above all others. The mix, titled "We Got Horns But This Ain't Ska," comes in two parts because I had too many songs and couldn't justify getting rid of any of them. The mix came together over a week ago, and I have been listening to it pretty much nonstop. I think is a good sign. If you're interested, click on the links located to the right.

3 comments:

  1. So did you buy your pass to 7 peaks? I'm thinking about it if they still have the deal going on when I get back to Provo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Alison Jones's sister. I enjoyed your posts. Good luck on your job interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cum on, post anotha! Even my sister likes reading...

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter