Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Slurpee for Breakfast?

Yesterday I took ill. I'm not exactly sure what hit me. At least four other people in my apartment complex have also been unwell recently, and I'm not sure if I picked something up from someone or if this is my own mishap. Nonetheless, yesterday was not a particularly enjoyable day. I struggled to keep down the little bit of food I ate and felt pretty miserable.

As I was preparing to go to bed, or at least try to sleep (attempts that were to later prove quite unfruitful), I heard a knock on my front door. I gradually made my way downstairs and answered the door. There stood three concerned friends, Alison, Jessie, and Nanette. They asked how I was doing and expressed their sympathy. Then Alison extended her hand, and in that hand was a gift: a Slurpee.

Though I was afraid to partake of too much of the Slurpee, it was a very nice surprise, not to mention a very thoughtful and caring gesture. Thanks once again, Alison and Jessie. We talked for awhile, and then I decided to really try and get some sleep. I put the Slurpee in the fridge, and that was the end of my night.

This morning I felt somewhat better, though I struggled to sleep well. Nothing frustrates me more than having difficulty sleeping. I lose my patience, and the longer I lay in bed awake, the more my mind gets thinking, and with each additional thought my chances of resuming sleep diminish. So I felt better than yesterday, not too difficult to do, but still not well enough to go about my normal activities, which would have included going to my new job for the first time. If I did catch something from someone else, I definitely don't want to spread it to my new employers and co-workers. Not a good first impression to make.

Returning to that Slurpee, I was feeling well enough this morning to try and ingest something. With diabetes, fasting isn't really much of an option. If I don't eat, low blood sugar comes a knocking, and unlike the shots of insulin that counter high blood sugar, there's no magic injection to make low blood sugar go away. Just good old fashioned food and drink. So I decided that the Slurpee would probably be pretty gentle on my stomach, and it was. For the first (and probably last) time in my life, I had a Slurpee for breakfast. And it was good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like Mr. Slurpee! And I hope you get feeling better soon :(

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter