Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shaving Adventure (and Postscript)

Yesterday someone from some city organization placed a green sign on my door informing me that my water service would be interrupted today between 1 and 3 p.m. No big deal. Just two hours without water.

I had forgotten entirely about the water interruption when I decided it was time to shave. Most days I don't bother shaving, but I have an intramural softball game tonight and must be cleanshaven if I wish to play. Once I covered my face with shaving cream, I tried to turn on the water to rinse the excess shaving cream off my hands. No water came out. It was then that I remembered that green note. What was I to do? Just remove the shaving cream and wait for the water to come back? I think not. The only water in my entire apartment was in a one liter bottle, and it was quite cold (perfect for drinking). If I was going to shave at that time, I would have to use that water. One problem: I don't like shaving with cold water. What did I do? I dumped all of the water into a pan, put it on the stove, heated it up, and then dumped it into the sink. I then shaved.

I wasn't sure whether I ought to be pleased with my ingenuity in locating and then heating the water for my shave, or whether I ought to have been embarrassed by my return to ancient methods of water usage. Whether it's a funny story or just an odd experience, it was my shaving adventure.

Yes, as can be seen, I am hardpressed for excitement these days. I need a job/life.

Postscript: This evening I spent an hour in the hot tub, relaxing and resting my muscles. When I got back to my apartment at 11:45 p.m., the door was locked. That meant my roommate had locked the door, and I hadn't taken my apartment key with me to the hot tub. I went to the back door, and it was also locked. At that point I wasn't looking forward to finding a phone to call and wake up my roommate. I decided to use a little skill I had picked up from working at Wymount Terrace custodial. Whenever we arrived at an apartment we were to clean and we found the door locked, we could almost always open one of the windows to let ourselves in. Even if the window was locked, we were usually successful. Anyway, I was able to open my kitchen window without any difficulty, and I climbed in, jumped over the sink and the dishes, and was in my apartment. Problem solved.

1 comment:

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter