Sunday, January 11, 2009

Young @ Heart

I watched a magnificent documentary last night called Young @ Heart. It came highly recommended from my main man, Justin, as well as the many positive reviews I had come across on the internet. For those who don't know the premise of the film, there is a chorus composed of retirees in Massachusetts called the Young @ Heart chorus. Their ages range from the seventies up into the nineties, with the oldest member at a sprite 93 years old. The chorus performs classic and contemporary rock and pop songs, not the standard fare for any chorus. Songs like Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze," The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated," and Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia" are just a few examples of the songs performed by the chorus. The group was performing in London when British documentarian Stephen Walker saw them, and after that performance he decided to go to Massachusetts and film the group preparing for their newest show in early 2007. He filmed the group's rehearsals and also interviewed many of the members and included their stories with the narrative.

As far as documentaries go, this film was incredibly engaging and entertaining. The chorus members are all remarkable human beings, and I, as well as everyone watching the film with me, was immediately drawn to their humor and positive attitudes. The film is incredibly humorous, primarily in the first hour, and watching it was a joyous experience. The chorus's love of life is absolutely infectious. The second half of the film becomes immediately poignant and, with absolutely no manipulation involved, tugs at your heart strings. I almost couldn't believe how emotionally attached I became to these people and their story. Little things like the way one of them laughed, or the 93 year old Eileen flirting with the director, or the way some of them courageously battle health ailments make you love these people. I experienced so many vivid emotions while watching the film, and the film ends on a very powerful note. I know that I was not the only one in the room moved by this amazing film, and I was glad to have shared that moment with others.

Young @ Heart does everything I think a great work of art should. It creates connections between the viewers and the work's subject, connections that are intellectual, emotional, and spiritual. The work promotes increased understanding of others, their view points, personalities, life experiences, and the essence of their being. Viewers should feel their understanding has expanded to include the subject of the work of art, and they should feel a sort of rebirth, like they have changed and can no longer remain the way they were. Lastly, a great work of art will create true and genuine empathy, what some might call charity or love. I firmly believe that genuine empathy or charity is the greatest quality that human beings may aspire to. It is the quality which brings out the best in who we are, and when we are full of that empathy, we see others for who they really are and treat them as they deserve to be treated. Young @ Heart did all of this for me. It taught me, entertained me, and moved me to feel genuine empathy, and I can no longer be the individual I was just twenty-four hours ago. I'd like to hope that I am a better person because of this film.

I highly recommend this film to absolutely everyone reading this.

3 comments:

  1. oh Chris I was totally going to blog about that movie but you beat me to it and put it so much better than I could have. So I hope it's ok if I just post a link to this from my blog. You're a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the Young @ Heart Chorus on NPR this last summer from their performance at the Newport Folk Festival. Thanks for posting about the documentary, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter