Monday, January 12, 2009

A few thoughts, nothing significant.

I'm blogging again. I don't have much to say, but I set some goals for myself last week, and one of them was to do more writing. That entails much more than just blogging, but there's no harm in updating this more frequently as well.

I don't have much to write about tonight. I had an interesting day. I slept very poorly, was too tired to be any good at work, went home and took a nap, went to FHE, and then played basketball with my boys for an hour and a half. I've been pleasantly surprised with my play lately; I thought it would take longer to get my shot to drop, but that hasn't really been the case. I'm looking forward to our intramural game Friday night at 10 p.m. Anyone interested in attending is more than welcome to. We like fans.

I got an email from my favorite band, The Wrens, tonight. Not a personal email, though that would be amazing. The Wrens make amazing music, but they don't do it frequently enough. It's been nearly six years since their last album was released. Before that it was another six or seven years between albums. In the email I received, the band said they will be entering the recording studio in one week to begin work on their next album. This made me extremely happy. I love this band so much that Justin and I once took off on a crazy road trip to see the Wrens play in Seattle in the middle of December, right after the winter semester ended. We drove to Seattle, watched the concert, slept for a few hours in a rest area outside of Seattle, and then drove back to Utah. It was a crazy trip that I wouldn't have traded for anything in the world. The Wrens were amazing. The guys in the band are now in their forties, but they rocked harder than all of the younger musicians who played before them. They had so much fun playing; you could tell they were grateful for their fans, and everyone their experienced a special connection between the band and the fans. For me, that's the greatness of live music when a band and the fans can connect in such a way that the fans become a part of the creative process. Justin and I were singing along and rocking out as much as possible. My vocal cords were thrashed after the show, but it was well worth it. Now, knowing the band is going to be recording very soon and hopefully releasing an album sometime this year, I have something to look forward to with eager anticipation.

I find myself in an interesting position in life. I feel/hope that I could be on the verge of a very good year. I have established some high goals for myself, and I hope to be disciplined enough to reach them - though some will likely require a little luck/outside assistance. I just need to do my best. I'm ready for and optimistic that good things will happen. But more than anything, I think I'm ready to make good things happen. Let's hope so, anyway.

Well, that's all I've got for now - for this blog anyway. There is some other writing I must get to work on. Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter