Thursday, October 30, 2008

I work hard for the money.

I don't usually blog much about my work (other than the frustrations of red lights during my commute), but some cool stuff went down today that I thought I'd write about.

I really didn't know what I would be getting myself into when I applied for and accepted a position with the Generations Network, parent company of Ancestry.com for anyone who wants to know. All I knew was that the wage was better than I had expected, and I'd be working the hours I wanted (9-5, Monday to Friday) leaving my nights and weekends free. I later came to learn about all the benefits that came with the position (paid holidays, laidback atmosphere, great co-workers, donuts and bagels every Thursday morning, etc). I feel lucky to have ended up where I did because I probably would have accepted pretty much any job offer - though I did turn one down that didn't offer me enough incentive to take it.

So the past five weeks at work have been somewhat tedious. We'd been working on a very large project, and I had been doing exactly the same thing eight hours a day, five days a week, for five weeks. We finally finished yesterday and were able to hand off the project and meet the deadline. Today we had a meeting with our entire department, the management and employees for the three teams (including my own). In the meeting we reviewed the work done in October and how each of the three teams fared. Two of the three teams were able to complete all of the projects they committed to at the beginning of the month. I was happy to see that the Assembly team (my team) was one of those. Then they announced that we were the team of the month because of the work we had done, and we were awarded the golden chalice (a big shiny cup/trophy thing). It was cool and it felt good to be recognized for our efforts.

Then we spent the rest of the day working on decorating our office for the company Halloween party tomorrow. I'm pretty excited for the party - it's going to last most of the day - and we've got a pretty cool theme going with our decorations and costumes. Maybe I'll post some pictures in the near future.

I like working for a company that cares about its employees. Sadly, I can't say that I ever felt that way when I was employed by BYU. That's all.

1 comment:

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter