Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Every win on this [blog]'s hard won." - paraphrasing the Wrens

I know I haven't written about Gremlins yet, but I just wanted to share something.

After last week's devastation that shall not be named, I've been forced to do some self-evaluation and introspection. Really, I have. I've seen things in a clearer perspective and been able to better prioritize my time, though I'm still not where I know I should be in most regards. I am doing better this week, trying to minimize time wasted. Anyway, what I wanted to get at was that in the days following the tragedy, I returned to the artists and bands that form the bedrock of my musical tastes. Bands like the Dismemberment Plan, the Wrens, Hum, Radiohead, etc. Sunday night I felt like hitting the open road so I jumped in my car and took a nice long drive. I put on the Wrens' album Meadowlands, a really sad yet rocking work about the struggles of relationships and creating art and pain and joy, and it was cathartic and invigorating all at once. It was exactly what I needed.

Maybe something good can come out of that terrible heartbreak that I refuse to speak about openly. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter