Thursday, October 2, 2008

Seeing red and feeling blue.

I have to post because I'm upset.

I really, really don't like the University of Utah's football team and fans. Even when I know Utah winning is in the best interests of BYU and the Mountain West Conference, I struggle and ultimately fail to cheer for Utah. Like tonight during the Utah - Oregon State game, I constantly found myself wanting Oregon State to win. Until the very end. Even when Utah was the beneficiary of a questionable penalty that gave them another chance to tie the game on a two-point conversation, I was hoping that Brian Johnson would make a mistake, throw an interception or something.

Utah winning didn't upset me, although the way they did kind of did upset me. What really upset me though was the way their fans reacted to the victory. They friggin' stormed the field after beating Oregon State on a last-second field goal. Sure, Oregon State beat USC, but give me a break. You'd think the fans were celebrating something more than the fact that Utah beat a team they were supposed to beat in the first place. Memo to fans: you're the 15th ranked team playing an unranked opponent. You don't storm the field when you barely beat them.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on them. Tonight will likely go down as their only chance to storm the field this season. We all know who will be storming the field in November.

Then, as if I couldn't get any more upset with things, Louis Sakoda was interviewed down on the field during the celebration. I don't remember what he had to say, but I remember hearing the Utah fans, celebrating on the field, chanting, "B-C-S," over and over. That pushed me over the edge. I had threw my fists into the air and then immediately began punching the couch nearest to me. "I want to play them tomorrow night," I exclaimed.

Let's break this down: I have watched a fair amount of Utah's football games this season. Have I been impressed? No, not really. They have talent, sure, but they have not looked at all like a BCS-buster caliber team. And then barely squeaking out this victory has their fans all chanting, "B-C-S" like they were the leading non-BCS school or something. Utah would pull a Hawaii if they were to get a BCS game, at least with how they've played so far this season, barely squeaking out wins against teams they ought to destroy. Brian Johnson must be the most overhyped quarterback in the entire conference; somebody notify me when he starts to warrant any of the praise he's received the last two seasons.

I really wish the BYU - Utah game weren't so far away. I'm ready for the Cougs to trounce the overrated Utes, if TCU doesn't do it first.

1 comment:

  1. Breathe! BYU is not the only team in the country trying to bust the BCS. Fans of other teams are allowed to celebrate.

    Utah just beat the team that manhandled "the untouchable" USC last week. It's a big win, certainly bigger than any of BYU's. In fact, Utah now has 4 victories (UNLV, AFA, MI, OSU) that I would say are better than any of the Y's.

    Utah's not blowing everyone away but they are beating quality opponents. What could be better for a Y fan? Utah looks weak but advance in the polls.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter