Friday, March 27, 2009

A strange memory of times past.

I still owe all you readers a worthwhile post, but it has yet to arrive.  The thoughts are in my head.  I just need to assemble them into something that makes sense.  

Anyway, I had a funny/quaint experience tonight.  I was speaking some Portuguese to myself, something I ought to do more often, and for some reason my train of thought led me to say, "...jeito de palhaco," which means "the manner of a clown" more or less.  I'm not sure now why I said it, but I'm sure it was a well-deserved self-deprecation.  Saying it took me back to a night in early summer of 2005.  I was nearing the end of my two-year mission in Brazil.  At the time I was in the city of Jose Bonifacio.  At the end of another long day, I decided that I would order a pizza for my companion and me to eat.  I went to one of the public phones, put in my phone card, and dialed one of the city's pizzerias that delivered.  I made my order, and everything was going smoothly until I told the person on the other end of the phone our address.  

"There is no such address," he told me.

"Yes, there is," I replied.  "I live there."

"No, there isn't.  I know."

"I'd think that I would know.  I live there."  We were both getting upset.  I could hear it in his voice as he ended our conversation.  

"That's not an address, you clown."

He hung up on me, and I could only look at my companion incredulously.  I could not believe what had just happened, and I was kind of upset.  I really wanted that pizza.  We laughed about it amongst ourselves as we walked to our apartment.  I think we ended up getting burgers from a little burger place on the corner of our street.  

I laughed when I remembered this experience.  I hadn't thought about it for a very long time, and it was a nice little moment during my rather pedestrian evening.

2 comments:

  1. That story brings me great joy. "That is not an address, you clown." That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter