Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Many thanks to my main-man Justin for making me aware of this.

For those of you afraid of hyperlinks, the low down is this: Harmonix, the company behind the awesome Rock Band video game franchise, is going to develop a Beatles Rock Band game (though it won't be called Rock Band). This is pretty fantastic news. The game will follow the group's development through their boy-band beginnings to their more experimental and musically groundbreaking stages.

I've been listening to the Beatles since my childhood when I use to pop in my dad's cassette of Abbey Road. It's not surprising that listening to one of the greatest albums of all time had an effect on me. I may have not regarded that album has highly as I do now and really only loved a few songs back then ("Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Octopus's Garden"), a love for the fab four's music was planted deep within me. I got more into their music as an adolescent, receiving a copy of The Magical Mystery Tour on cassette, then later the first double-disc Anthology set. I watched the entire Anthology television production when it aired, then later on VHS. My friend Devin Anderson and I became huge fans and would discuss and listen to the music together. Through it all, I became convinced, as I remain today, that the Beatles are the greatest band of all-time.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited they're making this game. The article states that they are looking to implement some new features unique to this game, and that makes me excited for the possibilities. Could they be looking for ways to include some of the "weirder" songs that use non-conventional rock instruments? Are they looking to make harmonies an important part of the singing, something the Beatles were always known for? I really hope they can improve the existing rhythm game fundamentals and push the envelope for this monumental game.

I'm going to follow Justin's example and list some of the songs I hope to see in this game:

A Hard Day's Night
No Reply
Ticket to Ride
Eleanor Rigby
Yesterday
Taxman
Lady Madonna
For No One
Paperback Writer
Getting Better
Good Morning Good Morning
A Day in the Life
I am the Walrus
Hello Goodbye
Penny Lane
Baby You're a Rich Man
Dear Prudence
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Martha My Dear
Blackbird
Helter Skelter
Come Together
Something
Oh! Darling
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Get Back
I Me Mine
Don't Let Me Down
Hey Jude
and the entire Abbey Road side B medley

Believe it or not, that's the abridged version of my list. I really don't want to have to wait until Christmas '09 for this game, but I guess I'll find a way to make it.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, i know i just made a quick abridged list as well, but how on earth did i forget some of the songs that you put on yours. I recall one morning in your room when we were playing basketball on your little hoop you told me to listen to them and i wasn't having any of that. I was a foolish boy. We are going to rock this so freakin hard!! Coo Coo, Kachoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. or goo goo gajoob...i hear it both ways.....i like this one better though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you are working hard on making a list of potential songs for the video.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter