Saturday, January 25, 2014

2013 - Year in Review - Part 1

2013 was a good year.  Unlike many people on my Facebook feed, I was not overjoyed to see it go.  When all is said and done, and if ever some misguided soul seeks to write my biography, there will be many reasons to remember 2013.  I intend to document a few of those reasons right now in the first of a three-part year in review; maybe I’ll save that unlucky biographer some work.

Part 1 – I am a Person and I Had a Personal Life:

I rang in 2013 with Melissa, my then girlfriend of seven months, at a low-key party with friends.  We’d had the big marriage talk two weeks prior in mid-December, and, with an influx of capital from the sale of my company stock when Ancestry was acquired by a private investment firm, I plopped down some Benjamins on a shiny rock and prepared to pop the question to Melissa.  No, I did not go to Jared’s.  On January 22nd, I invited Melissa over to my place of residence under the false pretense of eating dinner before going to catch a screening at the Sundance Film Festival.  She came over, and I surprised her with a recreation of our first date (first official date, not pseudo-date for those who reckon the beginning of our relationship differently, whoever that might be…) and a low-key but heartfelt and intimate proposal of marriage.  Blinded by the off-the-charts sparkliness (I just coined that term) of the ring, she accepted.  

(You can read her tale of the proposal here).

Thus commenced our engagement.  After sharing the news with family and friends (most notably, for me, with my overjoyed and speechless mother – there was hope for me yet, Mom), we set about planning the wedding.  We chose the second weekend in June for the date – an almost unheard of five and a half month engagement for a couple Mormons in Utah valley– and settled on the Bountiful Temple for the location.  Then we decided on buying a very comprehensive reception package through a place in Spanish Fork, allowing us to easily make almost all of the remaining plans in one or two brief meetings.  “But Chris,” you’re probably asking yourself, “aren’t those two locations a ways away from each other?  Isn’t that asking a lot of people to make the drive?”  If I were being honest, I might say yes, but it’s essential to know that, in making all of our plans, the question Melissa and I continually asked ourselves was, “How can we inconvenience as many of our family members and friends as possible?”  Or so some people thought.  Mostly it came down to this:  with no immediate family in the area to bear the burden of helping plan, set up and take down the reception, and all the various other wedding-related tasks, the only expectations we sought to gratify were our own.  Sure, it sounds selfish, but everything I’ve ever seen written about weddings says that your wedding is the only time it’s acceptable to be selfish.

Anyway, our “long” engagement flew by, and the big day was upon us.

08 June 2013, 07:00 a.m.   I got up after a short five hours or so of sleep, having spent the previous evening finishing up a few last minute wedding-related tasks (slideshow for reception, etc) and conversing with Mr. Whitney Jones, radio producer extraordinaire who had just jetted in from New York, New York.   I readied my physical appearance, donned my wedding uniform, and hit the road at 8.  I had to deliver a few forgotten items to Melissa (I did not prematurely see her at that point) at her aunt's place in South Jordan, and then it was off to the Bountiful Temple.

As one would expect, my bride took longer to get ready and arrived at the temple after me, but I didn’t mind.  After standing around for twenty-five minutes or so, I was told to stand in a certain place and face a certain direction so that Melissa could approach me without being seen.  Then, after receiving a tap on my shoulder, I turned around to face my would-be wife.  She looked, if I may say and I think I may since I was there and all, absolutely and gloriously beautiful.  Words are insufficient to capture the scene, the beauty I saw before me, the love I felt within me, and the excitement of joining my life with her’s.

There are a few occasions in life in which a person, upon looking back with any iota of honesty, can only conclude that he got luckier than he ever deserved.  For me, Melissa is the grace I could never earn of my own accord. 

It is amazing how radically life can change in such a short amount of time.  Melissa started working at Ancestry in October 2011, we started dating at the end of May 2012, and just a short year later, around 11:30 a.m. on the aforementioned 08th of June in the year two-thousand and thirteen, we were married for time and all eternity.

Yeah, it was a pretty great day.  A pretty great day indeed. 

We were blessed to be surrounded by family – literally surrounded by the near infinite number of Thompsons or Thompson-related kin – and friends celebrating with us.  My family put together an enjoyable luncheon following the sealing, and we got to spend some time relaxing, eating, and catching up with everyone.  Then there was the reception in Spanish Fork that evening where we got to spend more time being congratulated and receiving well-wishes and enjoying the whole spectacle aspect of the wedding.  It was great to have so many of our friends and family there.  A very big thank you to everyone who joined us on our big day, especially those of you who helped us out in any way.  It meant a lot to us.  The reception was an overall success.  There was a first dance to Sam Cooke’s “Nothing Can Change This Love”, delicious crepes were served, and our car was vandalized with balloons on the inside and washable markers on the outside – we have not forgotten and will have our revenge in time, oh yes. On a tragic note, Melissa never got around to eating her crepes; I had no such problem (the benefit of being the less social spouse, I suppose).

(You can read Melissa's account and see some pictures of the wedding here).

The reception ended, everyone got to go home, and the next day Melissa and I were boarding a flight to Charlotte, North Carolina.  I don’t have anything against Charlotte or North Carolina, but we were grateful to not spend any more time there than we had to.  Why?  Because we were going to Jamaica.

There are plenty of preconceptions about Jamaica floating around our culture (everyone saying ‘ya, mon,’ dreads, Rastafarian hats, and so on), and, for the most part, they’re true.  But there is something I want everyone reading my words to comprehend with perfect clarity:  Jamaica is paradise.  Behold:


That was the view from our hotel room in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  How did we end up there?  A little back-story:

During our engagement I became addicted to browsing the Groupon Getaways – if you have any inclination to travel the world, DO NOT LOOK AT GROUPON GETAWAYS FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND DECENT!  Sorry to yell, but I had to give my warning the appropriate gravitas.  It occurred to me, while browsing the Getaways, that Melissa and I, in our position as well-employed people, could afford to make our honeymoon destination as memorable as we wanted.  I began to take note of the deals for all-inclusive resorts, predominantly located in the Caribbean, and the idea that this was what we should choose took root in my brain.  Melissa agreed with the idea – maybe it was more like she was similarly seduced by the idea – and we ended up settling on an awesome deal to the Jewel Dunn’s River Beach Resort, an all-inclusive adults-only resort in Ocho Rios.  We booked the dates at the hotel and purchased airfare to and from Jamaica, and then it was only a matter of time.

This was my first time in the Caribbean, really my first “luxury” vacation ever, and I must say that staying at an all-inclusive resort is amazing.  From the moment we arrived at the airport in Montego Bay, we were taken care of very well.  The food in the resort, from the outdoor grill and fire-oven pizza to the more formal Caribbean or Italian restaurants on site, was fantastic.  The jerk chicken wraps, in particular, were life changing.  We ate at least two of them every day, one for lunch and one later at night.  We loved going into a restaurant, looking at the menus, and realizing there were no prices next to any item (other than on the wine lists, but that didn’t matter to us).  It’s weird how much more enjoyable a 5-course meal can be when you’re not worried about how much each course is costing you.  I could go on and on about the joys of an all-inclusive resort, but I’ll reluctantly move on.

It was warm and humid in Jamaica but never sweltering or unbearably uncomfortable.  A breeze blew most of the time, and, for the duration of our visit, there was hardly any rain.  (See?  Maybe I wasn’t exaggerating when I called it paradise).  The blue-green water of the Caribbean was so warm and inviting that it made the Pacific feel like an ice bath.  At night, when the noise and commotion had died down and the swimming pool’s artificial waterfall was turned off, Melissa and I would just listen to the breeze blowing through the trees and the waves breaking on the beach and wish that, somehow, it could last forever.

It couldn’t, unfortunately, but we did our best to make our experience there as memorable as possible.  We went on a couple excursions to get a feel for Jamaica away from the resort, but it’s not like we ended up in backwoods, non-touristy areas.  Tourism is the national industry in Jamaica, and it is a well-oiled machine.  Our first excursion was a trip to the Dunn’s River Falls, a 900-foot cascading waterfall, but before we reached the Falls, we were taken to Reggae Wal-Mart, a collection of vendors and shops with very motivated locals trying to sell souvenirs to tourists.  Melissa enjoyed negotiating with the vendors, and we ended up buying some pretty cool handmade goods now on display in our apartment.  From there we visited a botanical garden and walked amongst the lush vegetation.  Then it was on to the Falls.  We strapped on our Jamaican water shoes, found our local guide, and began our trek up the Falls.  As I said earlier, the Falls are a 900-foot cascading waterfall in the jungle, and with the aid of your guide, you hike up from the bottom of the Falls to the top.  The rocks are frequently scrubbed to make the climb safe for everyone.  The going was quite easy and enjoyable, with frequent stops in areas with deeper pools, and we had a great time.

For excursion number two, we went to the Mystic Mountain where we rode a ski lift through the jungle to the top of the “mountain” and enjoyed some spectacular views of the bright blue ocean and the Jamaican coastline.  At the top of the mountain we first took a ride on the bobsled track; it was like a small metal roller coaster without any real climbing or loops or scary maneuvers, but it was still a fast and enjoyable ride.  We then geared up and rode five separate zip-lines through the jungle canopy.  It was a ton of fun; we both finished the final and furthest ride hanging upside down.  Following a second ride on the lift, we spent some time at the top of the mountain going down a meager water slide and chilling in an infinity pool with a fantastic view.  Good times.

Mostly, we just enjoyed every second together in paradise, whether it was being lazy and catching some rays on the beach or stuffing our faces with food or going on some adventure in the jungle.  Now, nearly eight months later, we still think back to our time in Jamaica and sigh, knowing that if it were possible, we’d go back in a heartbeat.

(You can read Melissa's account of Jamaica, along with more pictures, here).

Married life post-honeymoon has also been great.  We love our two room apartment and the fact that we had to acquire but minimal furnishings (mostly just a bed and TV – thanks Costco!) to start our life together.  We began renting our apartment in May so we were able to move our stuff at a leisurely pace, saving only the big stuff for a Saturday morning move that only took a couple hours thanks to some very helpful friends.  Melissa moved in to the apartment two weeks before the wedding, and I finished moving the rest of my stuff into the apartment the morning before the wedding – don’t worry, Melissa was then staying at her aunt’s house in South Jordan so everything was good and proper.  We really lucked out with this place.  It’s a good size, it’s in a quiet neighborhood, and it’s only a six to seven minute drive to work.

The rest of our year has been very good, if obviously less memorable than the wedding/honeymoon.  We’ve taken trips to Las Vegas (the Beatles cirque du soleil was amazing!), Vernal (wedding open house and Christmas), Yellowstone (camping over the 4th of July), Moab (rafting the Colorado River), Phoenix (to see my sister’s baby boy), Los Angeles (Melissa’s brother’s wedding) and Denver (early Christmas with Melissa’s family).  We’ve enjoyed a wide variety of activities together:  attending a Broncos game, the Utah State Fair, hiking, river rafting, floating the Provo River, jet-skiing, camping, a ropes course, bowling, Laser Tag, a corn maze, golfing, and so on.  Really, it’s been a blessing to spend so much time together and make so many memories.

As for the professional side of things, Melissa and I both continued to work at Ancestry.com.  Melissa was hired as an analyst for the AncestryDNA team so she left the team responsible for our meeting, but it was a great move for her.  She enjoys the work, she gets to use her educational background in stats, and she moved up a couple levels of sugar momma-ness.  I stayed on the same team after she abandoned us, and things have gone well there.  I started pushing myself to do more and take on more responsibilities and was rewarded with even more responsibilities and work to do, i.e. a promotion.  I haven’t worked on anything as significant as I did in 2012 (the 1940 US Census), but I enjoy the work and feel satisfied with my contributions.  Ancestry has been and continues to be a great place to work.  It was there, after all, that Melissa and I crossed paths.

Future years are going to have to work hard to be more memorable than 2013, not that there won’t be better years coming our way.  2014 already has a few highlight reel moments on the docket: a second consecutive Valentine’s Day trip to Vegas; another Groupon Getaway, this time to Peru where we will visit Lima, Cuzco, and the one-and-only Machu Picchu.  And that’s just through the end of April.  I’m sure there will be adventures aplenty to report in another 340-ish days.


Next up in my review of 2013:  Part 2 – Official Media Consumption Report

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Reading Progress:

  • Quotidiana - Patrick Madden
  • How to Be Alone - Jonathan Franzen
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
  • Lamentations of the Father - Ian Frazier
  • Coyote v. Acme - Ian Frazier
  • Songbook - Nick Hornby
  • Love is a Mixtape - Rob Sheffield

Site Meter